Marriage Market!

I do not like Rakhi Savant. May be that is the reason why I am the regular viewer of her new reality show 'Rakhi ka Swayamwar'. The show started with 16 men of different sectors, different cities, different classes.. competing under one roof to mate ( the word is used in all its positive sense) a woman... in this case Rakhi. The first thing that came to my mind was a clip from the documentary Planet Earth where a dancing bird spreads its feathers in different fashions and colours to attract the female partner. Believe me... I thought it was a beautiful scene of nature, an innocent and intense feeling to keep alive your entity. This show is everything except innocence. Infact, it completely is surrounded by the aura of nonsense.
I believe in India, marriage which was being called as a union, had already been changed to be termed as a contract by our laws. Well, a few years ago, I had heard a friend's mother talking about a boy and had used the word 'marriage material' to describe him. I had a very huge laugh when I heard that. I thought the boy was just being reduced to a thing that could be transacted. After a few years, I heard people talking if their children had entered the marriage market.. which meant if they were looking for grooms/ brides for their children. Again I thought we were deteriorating. As cultured men and women we neglected the lack of emotions and sentiments in contracts related to business and economy. Today It is very easily and relentlessly called marriage market. It is as simple and any other transaction.
No wonder, we have such a reality show on the television today where a bride chooses her groom before the camera. The only thing that I glad about today is the fact that it is still the bride-to-be and groom-to-be talking to each other. If I recollect properly, when the reality shows on music started about a decade ago, it was the contestant and the judge who would decide the level of performance and the final winner of the show. With the mobile phone revolutions, SMSes were introduced by which common people who do not necessarily have any knowledge in the field of music vote out the contestants. In the course of this process, we have a few deserving ones dropped out. I hope not to be surprised if a voting is introduced in such shows on marriage where Rakhi's fans would decide whom she would marry!! I cant imagine that happening! I would not be shocked by such a development either....
Hmmm.... I dont know where we are going... I just have a few words ofcondolence to the person who finally will have to marry that female called Rakhi! One thing that I am convinced entirely about her is that you can like her or dislike her but you annot ignore her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ಅಪ್ಪನ ಮಾತು...

Not bad = Good?